NOFA/RI CRAFT Workshops
FSMA-Compliant Produce Handling and Building a Cooler with a Coolbot
October 2, 5:00 – 6:30 p.m.
Rain date: October 16, 5:00 – 6:30 p.m.
Wishing Stone Farm, 25 Shaw Road, Little Compton, RI
Skip Paul will discuss his approach to the upcoming produce sanitation protocols of the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA). Sanidate will be introduced to wash water at critical stages of greens processing. University of Vermont Extension has produced this educational video: here.
Wishing Stone Farm has set up a second CoolBot this season. Learn aboutCoolBot specs, budget and permitting process. CoolBots override an air conditioner’s temperature gauge and turns an insulated room and standard household air conditioner into a walk-in cooler. Learn more at the CoolBot website and see a list of disadvantages here.
Skip Paul and his family operate a 50-acre Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) and organic certified farm. Skip was instrumental in forming NOFA/RI and is a regular speaker and workshop leader at his farm and across southern New England.
Everyone is welcome. This workshop is free thanks to a generous Specialty Crop grant from the RI DEM, Division of Agriculture.
- “Invasive Plants 2014: Where Are We Now ?” Symposium, Oct. 7, cipwg.uconn.edu/2014-symposium
- Invasive Plant Manager Recertification, Oct. 15, URI Bay Campus, web.uri.edu/ceoc/invasive-plant-management-certification-program-ipmcp
- Boston Indoor Gardening Expo, Oct. 18 – 19 indoorgardenexpo.com/boston-expo-overview
- PLANET Green Industry Conference, Oct. 22 – 24 Louisville, KY landcarenetwork.org/GIC/Default.aspx
- Northeast Greenhouse Conference and Expo, Nov. 5 – 6, Springfield, MA negreenhouse.org
- Central Nursery Trade Show (CENTS), Jan. 7 – 9, Columbus, Ohio centsmarketplace.com
- NOFA/Mass Winter Conference, Jan. 10, Worcester, MA nofamass.org/winterconference
- Mid-Atlantic Nursery Trade Show (MANTS), Jan. 14 – 15 Baltimore MD www.mants.com
- CNLA Winter Symposium & Expo, Jan. 13 – 14, Manchester, CT www.flowersplantsinct.com/cnla_winter_symposium.htm
- RINLA Winter Meeting, Jan. 21 – 22, Rhodes on the Pawtuxet, Cranston, R, www.rinla.org
NOFA/NY Winter Conference, Jan. 23 – 25, Saratoga Springs, NY nofany.org/events/winter-conference
- NOFA NJ Food & Agriculture Winter Conference, Jan. 24 – 25, Lincroft, NJ nofanj.org/winterconference.htm
- NOFA-NH Winter Conference, Jan. 31, Concord, NH nofanh.org/events/winter-conference
- NOFA-VT Winter Conference, Feb. 14 – 15, Burlington, VT nofavt.org/annual-events/winter-conference
- RI Spring Flower & Garden Show, Feb. 19 – 22, Providence, RI www.flowershow.com
- Ecological Landscape Association Winter Conference & Eco-Marketplace, February 25 – 26, Springfield, MA www.ecolandscaping.org/conference
- Philadelphia Flower Show, February 1 – 8, http://theflowershow.com/show-info
- CT NOFA Winter Conference, March 7, Danbury, CT www.ctnofa.org/winterconference
See an international list of horticultural conferences at hortcalendar.com.
Other Events &Training
Consumer demand is increasing for organic lawn care. Boost your skills and reduce toxins in the environment. This 9-unit, non-college credit course is a complete introduction to managing grass and lawns organically and will cover how pesticide and fertilizer runoff harms water quality, provide technical training on organic lawn care practices, and discuss successful business and marketing strategies.Learn more at here or call 203-308-2584. Register here.
NOFA/RI Organic Farm Advisor
Organic Farm Advisors assist beginning or transitioning farmers with sustainable and organic growing, harvesting, processing and sales techniques, business planning or organic certification. Learn more about this free service here.
Young Farmer Nights (YFN) 2014 Schedule
YFN connects farmers, aspiring farmers and farm allies from all backgrounds. This regional network and open to young and old. On-farm events often include a potluck supper and bonfire. Learn more and view the season’s schedule here.
Organic and Sustainable Agriculture Webinar Series
Oregon Tilth, the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service’s East and West National Technology Support Centers will present these “Understanding Organic and Sustainable Agriculture” webinars.
|2014||Organic and Sustainable Agriculture Webinar Topics|
|Oct 07||Organic Farming and Soil Health|
|Dec 02||Nutrient Budgeting: Organic Considerations for Implementing Conservation Practice Standard 590|
See a variety of resource conservation webinars for free, Topics include Soil Health, Cropping Systems, Bioenergy, Energy, Biomass, Energy Policy, FOTG & Planning, Fish & Wildlife, Forestry, Forest Management and Wildlife. Learn more here.
URI Master Gardeners accepting applications for 2015 winter class, http://web.uri.edu/ceoc/uri-master-gardener-program
Learn about other related training events, farmers markets and more at our web calendar here.