Save the Date
Sunday, February 28, 2016
Hope & Main, Warren, RI
Will Bonsall of Khadighar Farm in Industry, Maine will share highlights from his newest book, “Will Bonsall’s Essential Guide to Radical, Self-Reliant Gardening: Innovative Techniques for Growing Vegetables, Grains, and Perennial Food Crops with Minimal Fossil Fuel and Animal Inputs.”
Restoring Carbon to Soil for Farm and Planet
Jack Kittredge and Julie Rawson of Many Hands Organic Farm and NOFA/Mass will discuss how to farm so that soil continually builds carbon while producing high quality produce and generous yields.
Compost and Living Soil: A Cooperative Effort
Sam Fox of Earth Care Farm will discuss composting methods at a large and small-scale and relevant Department of Environmental Management regulations. He will cover ways to increase feedstock diversity to create an inviting environment for our decomposing allies making macro and micro-nutrient availability for plants in healthy living soil.
Learn more about our Winter Conference here.
Our Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training (CRAFT) workshop series shares farmer experiences and best practices between farmers, farm workers, apprentices and gardeners.
NOFA/RI CRAFT workshops are free thanks to a generous Farm Viability grant from the RI Department of Environmental Management’s Division of Agriculture which seeks to enhance farmers’ ability to grow and market their crops. Everyone is welcome. Registration is not required for CRAFT Workshops.
Related Training, Webinars & Conferences
- New England Grows, Dec. 2 – 4, Boston, MA newenglandgrows.org
- Open Farm Day, Dec. 12, Round the Bend Farm, S. Dartmouth, MA marioninstitute.org/open-farm-days
- 2015 NOFA Annual Gathering, Dec. 14, Sturbridge, MA ctnofa.wufoo.com/forms/2015-annual-gathering-registration
- New England Vegetable & Fruit Conference, Dec, 15 – 17, Manchester, NH NewEnglandVFC.org
- NOFA Bulk Order, Jan. 1 – 31, Little Compton, RI or Meriden, CT pick-ups nofari.org/support/spring-bulk-order
- Update on Potato Blackleg Complex with Steven Johnson, UMaine, Jan. 11, 60 Quaker Lane, Warwick, RI. Register via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 401-640-0484. ($10 covers lunch)
- Central Environmental Nursery Trade Show (CENTS), Jan. 11 – 13, 2016, Columbus, OH, centsmarketplace.com
- NOFA/Mass Winter Conference, Jan. 16. Worcester State University, Worcester, MA nofamass.org/events/wc
- Introduction to Holistic Management® Whole Farm/Ranch Planning, Jan. 20, 2016, 6-week online course holisticmanagement.org/training-programs/getting-started
- RI Nursery & Landscape Association (RINLA) Winter Meeting, Jan. 27, Crowne Plaza, Warwick, RI rinla.org/calendar
- Harvesting for Profit Workshop, Jan. 28, URI, Providence, RI
- Organic Seed Growers Conference, Feb. 4 – 6, 2016, Corvallis, OR seedalliance.org/2016-conference
- Conservation Biological Control Short Course, Feb. 11, URI East Farm, Kingston, RI
- Real Health Conference, Feb. 13, Lancaster Ag, Ronks, PA lancasterag.com/events
- NOFA VT Winter Conference, Feb. 13 – 15, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT nofavt.org/annual-events/winter-conference/RFP
- MOSES 2016, Feb. 25 – 27, La Crosse, Wis. mosesorganic.org/conference
- New England Regional Accreditation Course in Organic Land Care, Feb. 22 – 25, (snow date, Feb. 26) Norwich, CT organiclandcare.net/professionals/accreditation
- NOFA/RI Winter Conference, Feb. 28, Hope & Main. Warren, RI nofari.org/events/winter-conference
- RI Women in Agriculture Conference, Mar. 1, RI
- 2016 RI Compost conference and Trade Show, Mar. 10, Rhode Island College, Providence, RI
- Holistic Land Planning, Mar. 10, 6-week online course holisticmanagement.org/training-programs/getting-started
- CT NOFA Winter Conference, March 12, Western CT State University, Danbury, CT ctnofa.org/winterconference
- Holistic Grazing Planning, Mar. 14, 6-week online course holisticmanagement.org/training-programs/getting-started
- NOFA Summer Conference, Aug. 12-14, UMASS/Amherst nofasummerconference.org
On-line Organic Lawn Care Certificate Course
Consumer demand is increasing for organic lawn care. Boost your skills and reduce toxins in the environment. This 9-unit, non-college credit course is a complete introduction to managing grass and lawns organically and will cover how pesticide and fertilizer runoff harms water quality, provide technical training on organic lawn care practices, and discuss successful business and marketing strategies. Learn more at here or call 203-308-2584. Register here.
Farm Commons – Farm Business Law Webinars
Plan for a stable, resilient farm business with 13 free Farm Law Webinars in 2015. There are 8 Farm Law Basics webinars and 5 Advanced Farm Law webinars. Learn, create and converse with farmers from across the country while applying the law to your specific situation. Learn more and register at Farm Commons.
NOFA/RI Organic Farm Advisor
Organic Farm Advisors assist beginning or transitioning farmers with sustainable and organic growing, harvesting, processing and sales techniques, business planning or organic certification. Learn more about this free service here.
Young Farmer Nights (YFN) Schedule
YFN connects farmers, aspiring farmers and farm allies from all backgrounds. This regional network and open to young and old. On-farm events often include a potluck supper and bonfire. Learn more and view the season’s schedule here.
Plant and Gardening Fairs and Events
See the All Things Plants events calendar.
Organic and Sustainable Agriculture Webinar Series
Oregon Tilth adn NRCS offer webinars on the first Tuesday of every month at 3 p.m Eastern Time. Learn more here.
See a variety of resource conservation webinars for free, Topics include Soil Health, Cropping Systems, Bioenergy, Energy, Biomass, Energy Policy, FOTG & Planning, Fish & Wildlife, Forestry, Forest Management and Wildlife. Learn more here.
URI Master Gardeners
Learn more here.
URI Master Composters
Learn more here.
Learn about other related training events, farmers markets and more at our web calendar here.