NOFA/RI Advanced Growers Workshop
Getting more food from less space & Cultivated crops that don’t need cultivation
Sunday, November 9
1:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Watson Institute, Brown University
111 Thayer Street Providence, RI 02912
Author and grower, Will Bonsall of the Scatterseed Project, will describe a System (as opposed to a single crop) of growing a number of specialty crops in less space, using a combination of companion cropping and intensive spacing. This is Will’s version of the John Jeavons Bio-Intensive, no raised beds. Will has farmed with these techniques for many years, fine-tuning as needed. His practices work for most crops, but especially for compact vegetables.
Will Bonsall will discuss his less common permacrops including hazelnuts, hardy kiwis, medlars, elderberries and blackberries. He will focus on strategies for growing and processing these permacrops.
- PLANET Green Industry Conference, Oct. 22 – 24 Louisville, KY landcarenetwork.org/GIC/Default.aspx
- Small Engine Repair with Shane LaBrake, Oct. 23, Providence, RI youngfarmernetwork.org/events, Register here
- Beef Cattle School, Oct. 23, Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, North Grafton, MA nesfp.org/events/beef-cattle-school
- Northeast Greenhouse Conference and Expo, Nov. 5 – 6, Springfield, MA negreenhouse.org
- Business Planning, with Richard Wiswall, Dec. 6, Providence, RI, youngfarmernetwork.org/events
- RI Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) Training, Dec. 10 and Advanced Training on Writing a Food Safety Plan, Dec. 11, URI East Farm, Building 75, Kingston, RI. Register or send questions to Lori Pivarnik at email@example.com or call (401) 874-2972
- Central Nursery Trade Show (CENTS), Jan. 7 – 9, Columbus, Ohio centsmarketplace.com
- NOFA/Mass Winter Conference, Jan. 10, Worcester, MA nofamass.org/winterconference
- Mid-Atlantic Nursery Trade Show (MANTS), Jan. 14 – 15 Baltimore MD www.mants.com
- CNLA Winter Symposium & Expo, Jan. 13 – 14, Manchester, CT www.flowersplantsinct.com/cnla_winter_symposium.htm
- RINLA Winter Meeting, Jan. 21 – 22, Rhodes on the Pawtuxet, Cranston, R, www.rinla.org
NOFA/NY Winter Conference, Jan. 23 – 25, Saratoga Springs, NY nofany.org/events/winter-conference
- NOFA NJ Food & Agriculture Winter Conference, Jan. 24 – 25, Lincroft, NJ nofanj.org/winterconference.htm
- NOFA-NH Winter Conference, Jan. 31, Concord, NH nofanh.org/events/winter-conference
- NOFA-VT Winter Conference, Feb. 14 – 15, Burlington, VT nofavt.org/annual-events/winter-conference
- RI Spring Flower & Garden Show, Feb. 19 – 22, Providence, RI www.flowershow.com
- Ecological Landscape Association Winter Conference & Eco-Marketplace, February 25 – 26, Springfield, MA www.ecolandscaping.org/conference
- Philadelphia Flower Show, February 1 – 8, http://theflowershow.com/show-info
- CT NOFA Winter Conference, March 7, Danbury, CT www.ctnofa.org/winterconference
See an international list of horticultural conferences at hortcalendar.com.
Other Events &Training
Online Organic Lawn Care Certificate Course
Consumer demand is increasing for organic lawn care. Boost your skills and reduce toxins in the environment. This 9-unit, non-college credit course is a complete introduction to managing grass and lawns organically and will cover how pesticide and fertilizer runoff harms water quality, provide technical training on organic lawn care practices, and discuss successful business and marketing strategies.Learn more at here or call 203-308-2584. Register here.
NOFA/RI Organic Farm Advisor
Organic Farm Advisors assist beginning or transitioning farmers with sustainable and organic growing, harvesting, processing and sales techniques, business planning or organic certification. Learn more about this free service here.
Young Farmer Nights (YFN) 2014 Schedule
YFN connects farmers, aspiring farmers and farm allies from all backgrounds. This regional network and open to young and old. On-farm events often include a potluck supper and bonfire. Learn more and view the season’s schedule here.
Organic and Sustainable Agriculture Webinar Series
Oregon Tilth, the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service’s East and West National Technology Support Centers will present these “Understanding Organic and Sustainable Agriculture” webinars.
|2014||Organic and Sustainable Agriculture Webinar Topics|
|Dec 02||Nutrient Budgeting: Organic Considerations for Implementing Conservation Practice Standard 590|
See a variety of resource conservation webinars for free, Topics include Soil Health, Cropping Systems, Bioenergy, Energy, Biomass, Energy Policy, FOTG & Planning, Fish & Wildlife, Forestry, Forest Management and Wildlife. Learn more here.
URI Master Gardeners accepting applications for 2015 winter class, http://web.uri.edu/ceoc/uri-master-gardener-program
Learn about other related training events, farmers markets and more at our web calendar here.