NOFA/RI’s Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training (CRAFT) workshop series shares farmer experiences and best practices between farmers, farm workers, apprentices and gardeners.
These CRAFT workshops are possible thanks to a generous Farm Viability grant though the RI Department of Environmental Management’s Division of Agriculture, which seeks to enhance farmers’ ability to grow and market their crops. Everyone is welcome.
Growing and Harvesting Medicinal Roots
Sunday, October 9, 3:00 – 4:30 p.m.
Rain date, October 16
Farmacy Herbs, West Greenwich, RI
Free CRAFT Workshop
Mary Blue of Farmacy Herbs will discuss cultivation, harvest and curing techniques for medicinal roots. Learn how to prepare herb beds for winter’s rest and how to make nutrient-rich compost.
Farmacy Herb’s 5-acre farm supplies the herb drying room and urban community health and herbal education center. This urban site features teaching gardens, an herb store as well as a health and education center. Herbal products and bulk herbs are made by Farmacy apprentices at their Providence site and sold at local stores and farmers markets.
Farmacy offers education programs on herbal information, nutritional healing and organic farming practices. Farmacy offers holistic-based information, referrals and resources to anyone who wants to support their health with herbs. Farmacy works to offer accessible community health care and wellness through environmental awareness and holistic practices.
Check back often to view our evolving schedule of CRAFT Workshops.
Related Training, Webinars, Conferences & Special Events
- Washington County Fair, Aug. 17 – 21, Richmond, RI washingtoncountyfair-ri.com
- The Great New York State Fair, Aug. 25 – Sept. 5, Syracuse, NY nysfair.ny.gov
- Garden Pest Controls, Sept. 3, Roger Williams Park Botanical Center, Providence events.uri.edu/event/saturdays_at_the_botanical_center_garden_pests_controls
- The Big E, Sept. 16 – Oct. 2, Springfield, MA thebige.com
- Farming with Beneficial Insects: Conservation Biological Control Short Course, Sept. 20, Keene, NH xerces.org/2016/07/19/conservation-biological-control-short-course-keene-nh
- Common Ground Country Fair, Sept. 23 – 25, Unity, ME mofga.org/thefair
- Farm & Food Leadership Conference, Sept. 25 – 27, Bastrop, TX farmandranchfreedom.org/farm-food-leadership-conference
- Plant Nutrition Program (CAES), Sept. 27, New Haven, CT
- Topsfield Fair, Sept. 30, Oct. 10, Topsfield, MA topsfieldfair.org
- Eco-tour: Ecological Landscape Maintenance Techniques at Mass Audubon, Oct. 4, , Belmont, MA ecolandscaping.org/events
- Farm-Based Education National Gathering, Nov. 4 – 6 Concord, MA farmbasededucation.org/#!2016-gathering-1/mrixe
- Northeast Greenhouse Conference and Expo, Nov. 9 – 10, Boxborough, MA negreenhouse.org
- 2015 Quivira Conference: “Lights, Soil, Action!” Nov. 9 – 11, Albuquerque, NM quiviracoalition.org
- NESAWG It Takes a Region Conference 2016, Nov 10-12, Hartford, CT nesawg.org/our-work/conference
- Tools and Techniques to Manage Healthy Soil Nov. 16 ecolandscaping.org/events
- 2016 Young Farmers Conference, Dec. 8 – 9, Stone Barn Center, Pocantico Hills, NY virtualgrange.org/learn/young-farmers-conference
- 2017 NOFA/Mass Winter Conference, Jan. 14, 2017, Worcester State University
- 2017 Harvest New England Agricultural Marketing Conference & Trade Show, Mar. 8 – 9, 2017, Sturbridge Host Hotel, Sturbridge, MA
On-line Organic Lawn Care Certificate Course
Consumer demand is increasing for organic lawn care. Boost your skills and reduce toxins in the environment. This 9-unit, non-college credit course is a complete introduction to managing grass and lawns organically and will cover how pesticide and fertilizer runoff harms water quality, provide technical training on organic lawn care practices, and discuss successful business and marketing strategies. Learn more at here or call 203-308-2584. Register here.
Farm Commons – Farm Business Law Webinars
Plan for a stable, resilient farm business with 13 free Farm Law Webinars in 2015. There are 8 Farm Law Basics webinars and 5 Advanced Farm Law webinars. Learn, create and converse with farmers from across the country while applying the law to your specific situation. Learn more and register at Farm Commons.
NOFA/RI Organic Farm Advisor
Organic Farm Advisors assist beginning or transitioning farmers with sustainable and organic growing, harvesting, processing and sales techniques, business planning or organic certification. Learn more about this free service here.
Young Farmer Nights (YFN) Schedule
YFN connects farmers, aspiring farmers and farm allies from all backgrounds. This regional network and open to young and old. On-farm events often include a potluck supper and bonfire. Learn more and view the season’s schedule here.
NOFA/Mass Growing Webinars
View free webinars offered by NOFA/Mass on the final Tuesday of each month from 7 – 8 p.m. See future webinar topics and view past webinars here.
Plant and Gardening Fairs and Events
See the All Things Plants events calendar.
Organic and Sustainable Agriculture Webinar Series
Oregon Tilth and NRCS offer webinars on the first Tuesday of every month at 3 p.m Eastern Time. Learn more here.
See a variety of resource conservation webinars for free, Topics include Soil Health, Cropping Systems, Bioenergy, Energy, Biomass, Energy Policy, FOTG & Planning, Fish & Wildlife, Forestry, Forest Management and Wildlife. Learn more here.
URI Master Gardeners
Learn more here.
URI Master Composters
Learn more here.
Learn about other related training events, farmers markets and more at our web calendar here