This page offers job opportunities for farmers, gardeners and consumers. Posting an opening is a member benefit. Postings are free for non-profit organizations. Listings will generally be posted for 60 days. Relistings are permitted. Please send listing requests here.
Jobs in RI
Roots Farm Crew Position 2017
Posted February 3, 2017 Farm Description
Roots Farm is a certified organic, diversified vegetable farm in Tiverton, RI. We grow intensively, year-round, on a small acreage using Eliot Coleman-style methods. The farm uses unheated, moveable greenhouses and low tunnels for year round growing, producing fresh veggies that are sold primarily through our summer and winter farmshare (CSA) programs and farmers markets. We strive to produce the most nutrient dense crops for the health of the soil, vegetables, and customers. Roots Farm is committed to sustainable farming, and we never use chemical fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides.
We are seeking applicants for full-time (Monday-Friday, 40 hours / week) and part-time (2-4 days per week, 8 hours / day) positions beginning in April and going to mid-November. Must be in good physical shape as the majority of work is done by hand. We are seeking hardworking, self-directed individuals with a strong work ethic and excellent attention to detail. Must be able to lift 40 lbs regularly. The work can be monotonous and tiring. Previous experience is a plus. No housing is provided. Must have reliable transportation to and from the farm.
The worker will be involved in many aspects of the farm: bed preparation, soil amendments, seed starting, transplanting, weeding, and harvesting.
Compensation: Hourly pay (dependent on experience) + veggies
If interested, please reply to email@example.com, concisely (~100 words) responding to the following questions:
1. Why are you interested in farming? Why organic farming? Why Roots Farm?
2. What skills are you looking to gain from this experience?
3. What skills do you have that you expect to help you?
4. Name and phone number of two references.
Candidates will have a working interview on the farm. Full job description can be found at our site www.rootsfamilyfarm.org/jobs/
Pat’s Pastured Seeking Assistant Livestock Manager and 2017 Apprentice Positions.
Posted: December 14, 2016
Pat’s Pastured was founded in 2002 and provides the highest quality pasture-raised and grass-fed meats all grown in Rhode Island. Our goal is to provide our livestock with a life that allows them to express their natural instincts fully in a pasture environment. That means that pigs get to root, run and play; chickens get to peck, scratch and crow; turkeys goggle and strut; cows eat grass outside, NOT corn in confinement.
Farm Description: 100+ acres of pasture and woodlots spread over a several pieces of land in Rhode Island. All land is managed in an intensive rotational management system with multiple species of livestock. The main farm is located in East Greenwich, Rhode Island. All meat and eggs are sold through farmers markets (5 summer, 3 winter in 2016), Meat/Poultry CSA, restaurant sales, buying clubs and on-farm sales. The farm also operates a food truck and cart that delivers farm-to-table food at farmers’ markets and special events.
Assistant Livestock Manager: This is a full-time, year round position. Compensation determined by experience. In addition they will receive meat, eggs and other goodies from farm friends. Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any questions please contact us by email. To learn more about Pat’s Pastured you can visit our website www.patspastured.com or our Facebook page.
Apprenticeship Positions: There are 3 apprenticeship positions available for the 2017 season. 2 positions are 9 months long running from March through end of November. The additional position runs from beginning of June until the end of August. Apprentices receive housing on-farm (shared living and rustic), $175 a week living stipend, access to meat, eggs, CSA vegetable share and other goodies from farm friends. In addition there are monthly educational opportunities at local farms, restaurant and with various food producers. This is a full time plus position (5 ½ day work week). Anyone interested must come to the farm for a one-day checkout. Attitude is everything. No previous experience required
Please send a letter answering the questions below, 3 work references and contact information by email to email@example.com. Any questions please contact us by email. To learn more about Pat’s Pastured you can visit our website www.patspastured.com or our Facebook page.
- Why are you interested in working at Pat’s Pastured this season?
- How does this apprenticeship fit into your personal & professional goals now and in the future?
- What skills would you like to learn from this experience?
- How would a past employer describe you? How would a co-worker describe you?
- What skills/experience do you bring to this position that you think would be beneficial?
- Do you have prior experience living in a group-housing situation?
- Anything else you want to tell us?
NOFA/RI seeks Organic Livestock Advisors and Additional Organic Farm Advisors
Organic Advisors will assist farmers and ranchers wishing to transition to organic production methods. Experienced organic farmers and ranchers are paired with aspiring, new or transitioning farmers and ranchers and provide assistance in many areas including these topics:
- Farm and/or ranch planning
- Marketing, business planning, record keeping
- Soil health
- Raised bed production
- Cover crops and crop rotation
- Pest and disease management
- Greenhouse and high tunnel growing
- Safe tractor, tool and implement use
- Salad green production
- Cut flower production
- Growing herbs and producing herbal products
- Livestock production and marketing
- Fencing, rotational grazing
- Pasture, forage health
- Weed control
- Post-harvest handling and marketing
- Value added production and marketing
- Marketing at Farmer’s Markets
- Organic certification and NRCS assistance applications
Farmers receiving assistance may be working towards organic certification, or they may wish to produce their crops in a more sustainable manner.
Compensation and mileage reimbursement is available for Organic Advisors through a generous USDA Specialty Crop Block Program grant for farm viability via the RI Department of Environmental Management’s Division of Agriculture and a USDA Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program grant sponsored by the Southside Community Land Trust. The grant allows NOFA/RI to offer this technical assistance at no charge to the Advisee.
The Good Earth Organic Gardening Center seeks Farm Manager and Farm Worker, Hope, RI
The Good Earth is a certified organic farm and garden center located in western Cranston, RI. The farm has been in business since 1995 growing and selling certified organic herb and vegetable plants, annual and perennial flowering plants, organic fertilizers, soils and other gardening supplies. The farm operates a 1-acre intensive vegetable farm including two high tunnels to serve 35 summer and winter CSA family members, the farm stand & several wholesale accounts. The work environment is friendly and encourages cooperation and shared responsibility to achieve the farm goals.
If you are interested in working at RI’s only certified organic garden center and farm during the 2017 growing season, contact Joyce and John Holscher at info@GoodEarthRI.com. Learn more and apply here.
Glocester Community Garden seeks Volunteers, Glocester, RI
Volunteers needed to maintain raised bed gardens. All food will go to the Glocester Food Bank. Contact Linda Nichols via email or call 401-309-8349.
Jobs outside RI
Part-time Education Coordinator at Community Farm
Land’s Sake Inc., an educational community farm and land stewardship organization located in Weston, Ma is seeking p/t Education Coordinator from the last week of January to the first week of November. The position has a flexible schedule with 10-35 hours each week, with 7 weeks of full time work in the summer.Working closely with the Education Manager, the Education Coordinator will be responsible for teaching farm-based education programs for schools, after-school programs, events, sugaring tours, family programs, and summer programs, lead outreach programs and assist program development and marketing, taking a leadership role of the summer Green Power program. Previous farm or professional garden experience is a must as well as comfort working around a variety of animals including chickens, rabbits, sheep, and goats
Qualifications: ● College degree in horticulture, farming, environmental science, environmental education, etc required or related field highly desired. Teaching and/or youth leadership experience in a school or non-traditional setting with proven ability around youth safety, group management and discipline ● Strong written communication skills ● Knowledge of second language a plus Salary: $15/hour ● Partial Healthcare reimbursement● Organic produce and flowers grown on the farm
Please send a resume, cover letter, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply. Preference will be given to those candidates who can start ASAP.
Two Full Time Crew Member – New Hampshire Farm
Tracie’s Community Farm in Fitzwilliam, NH is looking for 2 new full-time crewmembers for the 2017 season. A 10 acre diversified vegetable farm witha three season CSA. 350+ Summer CSA members. Completely spray-free.Full-time work late April/early May to the end of October, part-time hours available on either end. Starting pay is $8 per hour with a full share of vegetables, and one paid day off during the season included. Crew is responsible for all aspects of the farm from greenhouse work, to planting, hoeing, weeding, harvesting, and packing CSA baskets.http://traciesfarm.com/wordpress/?page_id=198 for more information and email email@example.com.
Find Farmers or Farmland
View the New England Farmland Finder website.
North East Workers On Organic Farms (NEWOOF)
Apprenticeship opportunities on North East organic farms. Learn more here.
NGOabroad seeks Volunteer Farmers, Africa & Caribbean
- GHANA or UGANDA: Teachers needed at Agricultural College. No teaching or university experience required. Farmers needed with a strong background in organic farming, perma-culture and/or sustainable agriculture.
- CAMEROON or INDONESIA: Organic Farmers needed in rural villages to teach organic farming and sustainable agriculture. Residents are eager to learn about composting, rainwater harvesting, drip irrigation, soil improvement and crop rotation. Improved yields can pay for mosquito nets.
- RWANDA: Cooperative Management guidance needed to help Hutus and Tutsis work side by side running and managing a cooperative.
- UGANDA: Experienced dairy farmers needed to improve production and milk yield. Heifer International launched dairy program 10 years ago. Floundering dairy farmers need guidance on feed other best practices to improve yield.
- UGANDA: Poultry farming experience needed for 3,000 laying hens that will support a Domestic Violence program plans. They need disease prevention and best practices advising.
- ANTIGUA: Agritourism: Farmers barely eke out a living on Antigua. The government has launched an initiative to build alternative livelihoods for the farmers. Share your creative mind and entrepreneurial spirit. Help farmers build alternative enterprises to attract tourists with live music, local food, history tours or steel drums production demos.
- KENYA: Field help needed for farm that feeds children at Help the Children’s Center for AIDS orphans.
These are volunteer opportunities. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. Learn more at www.ngoabroad.com. Send questions or completed Questionnaire (see here) and resume to Ann McLaughlin, Director of NGOabroad at info@NGOabroad.com.
Internships in RI
- Education/Programs/Events Internship
- Graphic Design Internship
- Marketing Communications/Public Relations Internship
- Intern to the Executive Director of Blithewold Mansion, Gardens &
- Volunteer Coordinator Internship
Learn more here.
Preservation Society or Newport County seeks Laborers, Tour Guides and others, Newport, RI
See all available positions and apply here.
Find Internship opportunities at government agencies and non-governmental environmental organizations here.
Internships & Apprenticeships outside RI
WWOOF seeks New and Experienced Farmers
World Wide Opportunites on Organic Farms for apprentices, volunteers, etc. Learn more here.
Find Internship opportunities outside Rhode Island at Internships.com.
Find Internship opportunities at government agencies and non-governmental environmental organizations here.