This page offers job opportunities for farmers, gardeners and consumers. Listings will generally be posted for 60 days. Relistings are permitted. Email listing requests here.
Jobs in RI
Big Train Farm seeks Farm Staff
This organic farm is located in Cranston, RI. Learn more and apply here.
RI State Conservation Committee (RI SCC) seeks a part-time Program Coordinator.
Candidate should be able to communicate effectively, multi-task, work independently and be detail-oriented. The applicant should be familiar with budgets and financial reports, have grant management and reporting experience as well as a working knowledge of bookkeeping principles and familiarity with bookkeeping software. (e.g. Freshbooks, QuickBooks, etc.) Learn more here. Apply via email to: Eric Scherer by May 29, 4 pm.
National Young Farmers Coalition (NYFC) seeks 3 Bootstrap Bloggers
Bootstrap Bloggers follow farmers starting new farm businesses, a popular feature and critical platform for highlighting and recruiting the next generation of farmers and ranchers. If you think your farm is Bootstrap-worthy, send a few lines and photos about yourself and your operation. NYFC will pay farmers or ranchers to write monthly blog posts starting in June. Learn more here.
Glocester Community Garden seeks Volunteers
Volunteers needed to maintain rased bed gardens this summer. All food goes to the Glocester Food Bank. Contact Linda Nichols via email or call 401-309-8349.
The Good Earth Organic Farm and Gardening Center seeks Customer Service/Salesperson, Cranston
This certified organic farm and garden center has been in business since 1995 growing and selling certified organic herb and vegetable plants, annual and perennial flowering plants, organic fertilizers, soils and other gardening supplies and sells produce and specialty food products in a farm stand. John & Joyce seek a dynamic and motivated person to join our garden center team. Our ideal candidate would have extensive plant knowledge and sales experience as well as a passion for organic gardening and farming. Position is open April – November, five days/week including weekends. Apply to Joyce Holscher via email@example.com or online at here.
Casey Farm offers Volunteer Work-share positions, Saunderstown
Application Deadline: June 1
Work-share volunteers work alongside farm hands in the field performing tasks such as planting, weeding, harvesting and preparing produce for CSA pickup and weekly farmer’s market. Work-share volunteers are sought for Tuesday or Friday mornings 7 a.m. – 11 a.m. to help with harvest, as well as Saturday work crew 8 a.m. – noon during the Coastal Grower’s Farmer’s Market.
- Punctual and reliable
- Able to take direction and work well in a team setting
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs and perform physically demanding tasks in all weather conditions
- Able to and interested in working efficiently and quickly
- Experience with farming or horticulture work is not required.
Work shares receive a full share of vegetables every week from our CSA $30 value in exchange for 4 hours work per week throughout the 20 week season. Apply via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Call Emily Cotter with questions at 401 295-1030.
Walker’s Roadside Stand seeks Farm Hand, Little Compton
Application Deadline: July 15
Jobs vary throughout the day – work with greenhouse tomatoes, transplanting vegetable crops, harvesting many different vegetables and small fruit. Must be honest and willing to work. Pay depends on abilities. Start at minimum wage, but can move up quickly depending on ability and enthusiasm. Call Coll Walker at 401-529-2463 and set up interview time.
Magma Design Group seeks Landscape Construction Worker
This landscape architecture & construction company works on unique projects in Rhode Island and Southeastern MA. We are known for our creative designs and unique use of stone and plants in the landscape. Duties will include helping to set up projects in the field, assisting with masonry work and landscaping projects, driving dump trucks, and operating landscaping equipment. You must be reliable, have the desire to learn, and be prepared for a labor intensive job. Experience with masonry is preferred. Pay is based on experience. Send resume and references to email@example.com or call 401-722-1652.
Wild & Scenic seeks Seasonal Gardeners, Wakefield, RI
Wild & Scenic is a small landscape design/garden maintenance company seeking full-time and part-time, seasonal gardeners. The qualified candidate will be expected to perform garden maintenance tasks including, but not limited to, planting, weeding, mulching, pruning, raking, deadheading annuals and perennials, dividing and transplanting in a variety of landscape settings. Wages compensation based on experience.
- Positive attitude, self-motivating and strong work ethic
- High enthusiasm for horticulture and the natural world
- Work efficiently as part of a team setting and individually
- Ability to lift 40lbs and work long hours in variable weather conditions
- Detail oriented
- Understanding of proper horticulture methods (planting, pruning, etc.) and some knowledge of plant identification.
- Valid Driver’s license and reliable transportation to work
- Prior related experience preferred
Send resume, cover letter and 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Wild & Scenic, PO Box 712, Wakefield, RI 02880.
Woonasquatucket River Watershed Council seeks 3 people, Providence, RI
Vanderscapes, Inc. seeks full-time employee, South Kingstown, RI
They seek a motivated, courteous, detail-oriented and punctual individual who has experience in landscape construction including hardscaping, stone masonry, grading, planting, pruning and general maintenance. Must have a clean driving record, valid driver’s license (cdl preferred) and transportation. Heavy equipment experience and mechanical aptitude are preferred. This is a part-time position at this time but could lead into a full time job for the right individual. Learn more via email to Dave Vanderlaan at email@example.com or call 401-265-4104.
Jobs outside RI
Brix Bounty Farm seeks Farmers, Dartmouth, MA
Brix Bounty Farm produces nutrient rich vegetables, provides educational opportunities and undertakes crop & soil research. Derek Christianson seeks 1 or 2 farmers for the 2015 season with a flexible start between February 1 and April 1 and through Thanksgiving. Year-round work and housing may be available for individuals considering a multi-year commitment. Learn more at brixbounty.com/about/job-opportunities.
Laurel Garden Design seeks Gardener/Horticulturist in Lincoln, Concord, Melrose and Reading, MA
This small and growing company has been caring for high-end gardens organically in Lincoln & Concord with a cluster in Melrose & Reading. Darcy offers a full-time position for a gardener / horticulturist with at least 2-4 years experience, to lead her crew. Candidates should be able to interact with clients and effectively inspire, lead and work alongside crew. Candidates should have extensive knowledge of plants and their needs; hand pruning experience highly desirable. A creative eye for containers gets you bonus points! Darcy is also looking for a few good gardeners, with 1-2 years experience preferred. Will train in pruning and organic best practices. Part-time, possibly becoming full time. Flexible hours. The positions are seasonal – from early April (ha! wishful thinking this year!) through November. Compensation is competitive and depends on experience. Full-time positions will include 5 paid holidays.
Hidden Garden Landscape Design seeks Crew Members, Brookline, MA
This small company in Brookline needs Gardening Crew Members who are strong, motivated, reliable people, interested in organic gardening and hard outdoor work. Experience and willingness to learn are a plus. Part to full time, April to November with work in Brookline, Cambridge, JP, Watertown, Newton and Somerville. Learn more at hidden-garden.com. Send resume and 2 – 3 job related references to Alya Shklovskaya, Landscape Designer at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-734-0735.
AquaTerra Designs seeks Team Member, Cambridge, MA
AquaTerra Designs seeks Team Members for a growing Land and Waterscape Design, Installation and Maintenance Company. Clients are in Cambridge, Belmont, Brookline, Weston, Arlington and beyond. We are NOFA Accredited Organic Land Care Professionals. Team Member Duties Include:
- Perennial and Annual care; deadheading, staking, fertilizing, container care
- Weeding, soil amending, monitoring of overall plant health and aesthetics
- Hand-pruning of shrubs, vines and small trees
- Seasonal mulching and bed clean-ups
- Planting of annuals, perennials, shrubs and trees
Salary commensurate with experience. Health insurance available. Uniforms provided. 6 paid holidays. IRA after one year full-time service with company match. Expand your knowledge of landscaping techniques and plant knowledge. Ability to grow into a more responsible and/or higher pay positions with seniority. Learn more at here. Apply to Kristin at email@example.com or call 617-293-3293 cell or 978-298-5672 Office.
Greenhalgh Gardens seeks Garden Assistant, Cambridge, MA
The position will be open from April – November 2015 with a NOFA Accredited Organic Land Care Professional Design/Install/Maintain garden business. Experience is preferred but will train the right person. Candidates must have their own transportation or be able to get to Cambridge. Candidates must have stamina and strength to lift, dig and do repetitive tasks. Starting rate $15./hour for about 30 hours per week. (Will reassess rate for experience and/or the right person.) Apply or send questions to Peggy Lynch, MCLP, ACOLP at Greenhalgh Gardens via email to Mlynch2006@verizon.net or call 617-549-7694.
Chatham Bars Inn Farm seeks Organic Farm Hand, Brewster, MA
The Chatham Bars Inn Farm produces high quality organic vegetables for use at several restaurants located at the Chatham Bars Inn resort/ Candidates with a strong passion for sustainable agriculture and experience farming are preferred. This position will provide the right candidate with a hands-on opportunity to experience and master nearly every aspect of organic vegetable production. The Farm Hand is responsible for but not limited to:
- Harvesting, transplanting, weeding, pruning, trellising, thinning,
- managing irrigation systems, and pest control
- Some tractor and rototiller work will be required for soil preparation
- and cultivation
- Post-harvest operations will include sorting, washing, bunching of harvested crops, quality control, and packing/storage responsibilities
- Transport and delivery of farm products will also be required
- Greenhouse operations will entail but are not limited to seeding, potting-up, irrigation, pest control, and fertility management
Openings are full-time seasonal: March 1 – November 23, 2015 or May 1 – October 1, 2015 .Learn more or apply online at www.chathambarsinn.com/careers.php or send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Farmer-to-Farmer program seeks Farm Trainers, East Africa
USAID-funded program sends US farmers on 3-4 week volunteer assignment in East Africa regarding training in many different areas, including: business management, record keeping, barley production, greenhouse management, etc. We operate in Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Kenya. The trips are expenses paid. Learn more at farmertofarmer.crs.org.
Biodynamic Association seeks Apprentices
The North American Biodynamic Apprenticeship Program (NABDAP) is for beginning biodynamic and organic farmers. NABDAP combines two years of structured on-farm training and mentoring with a course of classroom study in biodynamics. NABDAP apprentices benefit from a comprehensive training curriculum, carefully selected mentor farms, and access to networking, support, and educational resources. Graduates of NABDAP are awarded a certificate in biodynamic farming from the Biodynamic Association. Learn more at biodynamics.com, email email@example.com or call (262) 649-9212 ext. 5.
CT Agritourism Business seeks Manager
Progressive Connecticut Agritourism Business with 30-acre Apple & Peach PYO Orchard, 5-acre Petting Zoo, Country Market with Florist and Gift Shop seeking manager with possible long-term lease when owner retires. Learn more at silvermansfarm.com and email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture seeks Farm Staff, Tarrytown, NY
Gain knowledge and hands-on experience to create an economically viable and ecologically resilient farm-business enterprise. Stone Barns Center is accepting applications for the following positions:
- Finance and Operations Manager
- Facilities Director
- Facilities Maintenance Mechanic
- Part-Time Farm Store and Visitor Center Associate
- Facilities Maintenance Assistant
Find Farmers or Farmland
View the New England Farmland Finder website.
North East Workers On Organic Farms (NEWOOF)
Apprenticeship opportunities on North East organic farms. Learn more here.
NGOabroad seeks Volunteer Farmers, Africa & Caribbean
- GHANA or UGANDA: Teachers needed at Agricultural College. No teaching or university experience required. Farmers needed with a strong background in organic farming, perma-culture and/or sustainable agriculture.
- CAMEROON or INDONESIA: Organic Farmers needed in rural villages to teach organic farming and sustainable agriculture. Residents are eager to learn about composting, rainwater harvesting, drip irrigation, soil improvement and crop rotation. Improved yields can pay for mosquito nets.
- RWANDA: Cooperative Management guidance needed to help Hutus and Tutsis work side by side running and managing a cooperative.
- UGANDA: Experienced dairy farmers needed to improve production and milk yield. Heifer International launched dairy program 10 years ago. Floundering dairy farmers need guidance on feed other best practices to improve yield.
- UGANDA: Poultry farming experience needed for 3,000 laying hens that will support a Domestic Violence program plans. They need disease prevention and best practices advising.
- ANTIGUA: Agritourism: Farmers barely eke out a living on Antigua. The government has launched an initiative to build alternative livelihoods for the farmers. Share your creative mind and entrepreneurial spirit. Help farmers build alternative enterprises to attract tourists with live music, local food, history tours or steel drums production demos.
- KENYA: Field help needed for farm that feeds children at Help the Children’s Center for AIDS orphans.
These are volunteer opportunities. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. Learn more at www.ngoabroad.com. Send questions or completed Questionnaire (see here) and resume to Ann McLaughlin, Director of NGOabroad at info@NGOabroad.com.
Internships in RI
Blithewold Mansion, Gardens & Arboretum seeks Interns, Bristol
- Education/Programs/Events Internship
- Graphic Design Internship
- Marketing Communications/Public Relations Internship
- Intern to the Executive Director
- Volunteer Coordinator Internship
Learn more about Blithewold’s Internships and how to apply here.
Find Internship opportunities at government agencies and non-governmental environmental organizations here.
Internships & Apprenticeships outside RI
Siena Farms seeks Apprentices, Sudbury, MA
Siena Farms is a 70-acre, award-winning market farm located in Sudbury, MA with a year-round CSA. The farm sells produce at farmers’ markets, a farm store and to Boston restaurants. The farm uses only sustainable farming practices without chemical pesticides, herbicides or synthetic fertilizers to grow the highest-quality produce, provide great customer service and strengthen community ties. Learn more about the farm position at sienafarms.com. Send a letter of interest and a resumé to email@example.com.
Mount Auburn Cemetery seeks Horticultural Intern, Cambridge, MA
Application Deadline: June 30
This twelve-month internship offers training and experience to students or recent graduates seeking careers in botanic garden/arboretum management. The intern will rotate through a variety of different crews including plant records & mapping, greenhouse propagation, nursery, experimental garden, arboriculture, gardening and general grounds maintenance. Learn more here. The stipend is $15/hr and start date is negotiable. Send cover letter stating your career goals and internship objectives with a current resume as Microsoft Word documents, including the job title in the subject area to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rodale Institute seeks staff and interns, Kutztown, PA
These positions are available:
- Animal Husbandry Coordinator
- Field/Equipment Specialist
- St. Luke’s Rodale Institute Organic Farm – Part Time position
Internships are often seasonal running from early spring to late fall. Learn more here.
- Garden Interships
- Livestock Internships
- Research Internships
- Agriculture Supported Communities (ASC) Internships
- St. Luke’s Rodale Institute Organic Farm Internships
- Communications and Outreach Internships
WWOOF seeks New and Experienced Farmers
World Wide Opportunites on Organic Farms for apprentices, volunteers, etc. Learn more here.
Find Internship opportunities outside Rhode Island at Internships.com.
Find Internship opportunities at government agencies and non-governmental environmental organizations here.