This page offers job opportunities for farmers, gardeners and consumers. Listings will generally be posted for 60 days. Relistings are permitted. Email listing requests here.
Jobs in RI
Blue Moon Farm Perennial Nursery seeks Nursery & Garden Help, Wakefield
Full and part-time positions are open for planting, maintenance and sales. Knowledge of plants helpful, but interest and willingness to learn are essential. Must feel comfortable working with the public. Positions also available for planting and maintenance at private homes and gardens. Must have own transportation. Learn about the farm here. Apply or send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Jane at 401-284-2369.
Jobs outside RI
Brix Bounty Farm seeks Farmers, Apprentices & More, Dartmouth, MA
Brix Bounty Farm produces nutrient rich vegetables, providies educational opportunities and undertakes crop & soil research. Derek Christianson seeks 1 or 2 farmers for the 2015 season with a flexible start between February 1 and April 1 and through Thanksgiving. Year-round work and housing may be available for individuals considering a multi-year commitment. Learn more at www.brixbounty.com/about/job-opportunities.
NOFA-NY Certified Organic, LLC. seeks Certification Director, NY
This USDA-accredited organic certification agency, is seeking a dynamic Certification Director to lead the grassroots organization into the next decade. The successful candidate will have a strong commitment to local organic agriculture as well as experience in organic certification and management.Learn more here.
USDA ARS Pasture Systems & Watershed Management Research Unit seeks 2-year postdoctoral research associate, University Park, PA.
The USDA ARS Pasture Systems & Watershed Management Research Unit in University Park, PA is seeking a 2-year postdoctoral research associate (Research Animal Scientist/Research Agronomist) for a two year appointment. Ph.D. is required. The assigned research area deals with developing practical strategies for organic dairy farmers in the Northeast to improve farm viability by evaluating advanced pasture production and supplementation strategies. For more information, contact Kathy Soder at Kathy.Soder@ARS.USDA.GOV.
Farmer-to-Farmer program seeks Farm Trainers, East Africa
USAID-funded program sends US farmers on 3-4 week volunteer assignment in East Africa regarding training in many different areas, including: business management, record keeping, barley production, greenhouse management, etc. We operate in Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Kenya. The trips are expenses paid. Learn more at farmertofarmer.crs.org.
Siena Farms seeking Crop Production Manager, Crop Production Assistant and Farm Apprenticeship, Sudbury, MA
Siena Farms is a 70-acre, award-winning market farm located in Sudbury, MA with a year-round CSA. The farm sells produce at farmers’ markets, a farm store and to Boston restaurants. The farm uses only sustainable farming practices without chemical pesticides, herbicides or synthetic fertilizers to grow the highest-quality produce, provide great customer service and strengthen community ties. Open positions include: Farm Apprentices, Harvest Manager, Crop Production Assistant, Crop Production Manager. Learn more about the farm and openings at sienafarms.com. Send a letter of interest and a resumé to Susan Turner, CSA Coordinator at email@example.com.
Biodynamic Association seeks Apprentices
The North American Biodynamic Apprenticeship Program (NABDAP) is for beginning biodynamic and organic farmers. NABDAP combines two years of structured on-farm training and mentoring with a course of classroom study in biodynamics. NABDAP apprentices benefit from a comprehensive training curriculum, carefully selected mentor farms, and access to networking, support, and educational resources. Graduates of NABDAP are awarded a certificate in biodynamic farming from the Biodynamic Association. Download the North American Biodynamic Apprenticeship Program brochure (PDF).
Learn more at biodynamics.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (262) 649-9212 ext. 5.
CT Agritourism Business seeks Manager
Progressive Connecticut Agritourism Business with 30-acre Apple & Peach PYO Orchard, 5-acre Petting Zoo, Country Market with Florist and Gift Shop seeking manager with possible long-term lease when owner retires. Learn more at silvermansfarm.com and email email@example.com.
Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture seeks Farm Camp Staff, Tarrytown, NY
Gain knowledge and hands-on experience to create an economically viable and ecologically resilient farm-business enterprise. Stone Barns Center is accepting applications for the following positions:
Apply to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find RI Internships at bRIdge.jobs.
Find Farmers or Farmland
View the New England Farmland Finder website.
WWOOF seeks New and Experienced Farmers
World Wide Opportunites on Organic Farms for apprentices, volunteers, etc. Learn more here.
North East Workers On Organic Farms (NEWOOF)
Apprenticeship opportunities on North East organic farms. Learn more here.
NGOabroad seeks Volunteer Farmers, Africa & Caribbean
- GHANA or UGANDA: Teachers needed at Agricultural College. No teaching or university experience required. Farmers needed with a strong background in organic farming, perma-culture and/or sustainable agriculture.
- CAMEROON or INDONESIA: Organic Farmers needed in rural villages to teach organic farming and sustainable agriculture. Residents are eager to learn about composting, rainwater harvesting, drip irrigation, soil improvement and crop rotation. Improved yields can pay for mosquito nets.
- RWANDA: Cooperative Management guidance needed to help Hutus and Tutsis work side by side running and managing a cooperative.
- UGANDA: Experienced dairy farmers needed to improve production and milk yield. Heifer International launched dairy program 10 years ago. Floundering dairy farmers need guidance on feed other best practices to improve yield.
- UGANDA: Poultry farming experience needed for 3,000 laying hens that will support a Domestic Violence program plans. They need disease prevention and best practices advising.
- ANTIGUA: Agritourism: Farmers barely eke out a living on Antigua. The government has launched an initiative to build alternative livelihoods for the farmers. Share your creative mind and entrepreneurial spirit. Help farmers build alternative enterprises to attract tourists with live music, local food, history tours or steel drums production demos.
- KENYA: Field help needed for farm that feeds children at Help the Children’s Center for AIDS orphans.
These are volunteer opportunities. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. Learn more at www.ngoabroad.com. Send questions or completed Questionnaire (see here) and resume to Ann McLaughlin, Director of NGOabroad at info@NGOabroad.com.