This page offers job opportunities for farmers, gardeners and consumers. Posting an opening is a member benefit. Postings are free for non-profit organizations. Listings will generally be posted for 60 days. Relistings are permitted. Email listing requests here.
Jobs in RI
Roots Farm seeks Crew, Tiverton, RI
– Farm Description
Roots Farm is a certified organic, diversified vegetable farm in Tiverton, RI. We grow intensively, year-round, on a small acreage using Eliot Coleman-style methods. The farm uses unheated, moveable greenhouses and low tunnels for year round growing, producing fresh veggies that are sold primarily through our summer and winter farmshare (CSA) programs and farmers markets. We strive to produce the most nutrient dense crops for the health of the soil, vegetables, and customers. Roots Farm is committed to sustainable farming, and we never use chemical fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides.
– Job description
Part-time position (2-4 days per week), beginning in April and going to mid-November. Must be in good physical shape as the majority of work is done by hand. We are seeking a hardworking, self-directed individual with a strong work ethic and excellent attention to detail. Must be able to lift 40 lbs regularly. The work can be monotonous and tiring. Previous experience a plus. Candidates will have a working interview on the farm.
The worker will be involved in many aspects of the farm: bed preparation, soil amendments, seed starting, transplanting, weeding, and harvesting.
– Compensation: Hourly pay (dependent on experience) + veggies
If interested, please reply to email@example.com, concisely responding to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in farming? Why organic farming? Why Roots Farm?
- What skills are you looking to gain from this experience?
- What skills do you have that you expect to help you?
- Name and phone number of two references.
Roots Farm www.roots-farm.com 401.816.5590
217 East Road Tiverton, RI 02878
Red Planet Farm seeks Carpenters, Johnston, RI
Do you have moderate to high skills in building construction and are you available to work 20 hours/week on various farm projects, including greenhouses and outbuilding improvements. Pay commensurate with skill level and tools. Starts ASAP, runs until late December.
We may also be hiring general farm labor for coming weeks, so if you don’t have building skill but would like some farm work, let us know your availability! Contact Matt Tracy, Red Planet Farm via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (401) 481-6115.
Wild & Scenic seeks Seasonal Gardeners, Wakefield, RI
Wild & Scenic is a small landscape design/garden maintenance company seeking full-time and part-time, seasonal gardeners. The qualified candidate will be expected to perform garden maintenance tasks including, but not limited to, planting, weeding, mulching, pruning, raking, deadheading annuals and perennials, dividing and transplanting in a variety of landscape settings. Wages compensation based on experience.
- Positive attitude, self-motivating and strong work ethic
- High enthusiasm for horticulture and the natural world
- Work efficiently as part of a team setting and individually
- Ability to lift 40lbs and work long hours in variable weather conditions
- Detail oriented
- Understanding of proper horticulture methods (planting, pruning, etc.) and some knowledge of plant identification.
- Valid Driver’s license and reliable transportation to work
- Prior related experience preferred
Send resume, cover letter and 2 references to email@example.com or mail to Wild & Scenic, PO Box 712, Wakefield, RI 02880.
Glocester Community Garden seeks Volunteers, Glocester, RI
Volunteers needed to maintain raised bed gardens. All food will go to the Glocester Food Bank. Contact Linda Nichols via email or call 401-309-8349.
Jobs outside RI
New Entry Sustainable Farming Project seeks Beginning Farmer Resource Coordinator and Technical Assistance and Incubator Farm Coordinator, Lowell and Greater Boston, MA New Entry works to improve our local and regional food systems by training the next generation of farmers to produce food that is sustainable, nutritious and culturally appropriate and making this food accessible to individuals regardless of age, mobility, ethnicity, or socio-economic status. In doing this work, New Entry provides critical training, career development, and economic opportunity to new farmers. We operate beginning farmer training programs, run incubator farms, manage a diverse food hub, connect producers to farmland, run a statewide beginning farmer network, and provide technical support to other food systems organizations across the US. We are seeking two, full-time, year-round, fully benefitted positions to join New Entry’s team of professionals, see: http://www.nesfp.org/about/employment-opportunities. Goal is to fill positions by March 1, 2016.
Technical Assistance and Incubator Farm Coordinator: New Entry’s Technical Assistance and Incubator Farm Site Coordinator is responsible for providing year-round technical assistance (TA) and training to small-scale beginning farmers, both on and off the field, on multiple aspects of farm enterprise development. The Coordinator will develop and deliver annual Farm Business Planning Courses (9-week training program), host field-based practical skills trainings (12 sessions during season), manage three New Entry incubator farms and equipment, determine best approach for site improvements, and facilitate crop production (emphasizing organic techniques) to achieve lease compliance. The ideal candidate will have farm business ownership experience, be a good mentor to new producers, and be fully capable of safely operating farm equipment with various implements. For a complete job description and to apply: http://tsne.org/technical-assistance-and-incubator-farm-site-coordinator-nesfp
Beginning Farmer Resource Coordinator: New Entry’s Beginning Farmer Resource Coordinator will provide year-round technical assistance (TA) and training to small-scale, direct market beginning farmers, both on and off the field, on multiple aspects of farm enterprise development. This person will also manage the statewide Beginning Farmer Network of Massachusetts (bfnmass.org), and conduct farmer intake and case management/technical assistance for participants in New Entry programs and services, and teach our Explore Farming courses. Another major responsibility of this role is to support urban farmer training in collaboration with Urban Farming Institute of Boston by teaching an urban farmer training course. For a complete job description and to apply: http://tsne.org/beginning-farmer-resource-coordinator-new-entry-sustainable-farming-project.
AquaTerra Designs seeks Team Member, Cambridge, MA
AquaTerra Designs seeks Team Members for a growing Land and Waterscape Design, Installation and Maintenance Company. Clients are in Cambridge, Belmont, Brookline, Weston, Arlington and beyond. We are NOFA Accredited Organic Land Care Professionals. Team Member Duties Include:
- Perennial and Annual care; deadheading, staking, fertilizing, container care
- Weeding, soil amending, monitoring of overall plant health and aesthetics
- Hand-pruning of shrubs, vines and small trees
- Seasonal mulching and bed clean-ups
- Planting of annuals, perennials, shrubs and trees
Salary commensurate with experience. Health insurance available. Uniforms provided. 6 paid holidays. IRA after one year full-time service with company match. Expand your knowledge of landscaping techniques and plant knowledge. Ability to grow into a more responsible and/or higher pay positions with seniority. Learn more at here. Apply to Kristen at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-293-3293.
Boston Public Market seeks Insectors and Vendor Booth staff, Boston, MA
Work at the Market
Apply to work with the vendors at the Boston Public Market. Vendors are dedicated to showcasing the variety and quality of food grown, produced, and caught in Massachusetts and throughout New England. Farmers, fishermen, cheese mongers, bakers, dairymen, flower sellers and specialty food producers all come together under one roof to create a unique, vibrant retail community in the heart of Boston.
Boston Public Market vendors are looking for motivated, passionate, customer service-oriented individuals to represent their businesses as customer service representatives, food preparers, and retailers at the Market.
If you are interested in working with talented vendors, please submit a letter of interest and a resume to email@example.com. In your letter of interest, please indicate if you are interested in working for a specific vendor or in a specific type of work (for example, retail/food, prep/customer service). Learn more here.
Farmer-to-Farmer program seeks Farm Trainers, East Africa
USAID-funded program sends US farmers on 3-4 week volunteer assignment in East Africa regarding training in many different areas, including: business management, record keeping, barley production, greenhouse management, etc. We operate in Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Kenya. The trips are expenses paid. Learn more at farmertofarmer.crs.org.
Biodynamic Association seeks Apprentices
The North American Biodynamic Apprenticeship Program (NABDAP) is for beginning biodynamic and organic farmers. NABDAP combines two years of structured on-farm training and mentoring with a course of classroom study in biodynamics. NABDAP apprentices benefit from a comprehensive training curriculum, carefully selected mentor farms, and access to networking, support, and educational resources. Graduates of NABDAP are awarded a certificate in biodynamic farming from the Biodynamic Association. Learn more at biodynamics.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (262) 649-9212 ext. 5.
CT Agritourism Business seeks Manager
Progressive Connecticut Agritourism Business with 30-acre Apple & Peach PYO Orchard, 5-acre Petting Zoo, Country Market with Florist and Gift Shop seeking manager with possible long-term lease when owner retires. Learn more at silvermansfarm.com and email email@example.com.
Find Farmers or Farmland
View the New England Farmland Finder website.
North East Workers On Organic Farms (NEWOOF)
Apprenticeship opportunities on North East organic farms. Learn more here.
NGOabroad seeks Volunteer Farmers, Africa & Caribbean
- GHANA or UGANDA: Teachers needed at Agricultural College. No teaching or university experience required. Farmers needed with a strong background in organic farming, perma-culture and/or sustainable agriculture.
- CAMEROON or INDONESIA: Organic Farmers needed in rural villages to teach organic farming and sustainable agriculture. Residents are eager to learn about composting, rainwater harvesting, drip irrigation, soil improvement and crop rotation. Improved yields can pay for mosquito nets.
- RWANDA: Cooperative Management guidance needed to help Hutus and Tutsis work side by side running and managing a cooperative.
- UGANDA: Experienced dairy farmers needed to improve production and milk yield. Heifer International launched dairy program 10 years ago. Floundering dairy farmers need guidance on feed other best practices to improve yield.
- UGANDA: Poultry farming experience needed for 3,000 laying hens that will support a Domestic Violence program plans. They need disease prevention and best practices advising.
- ANTIGUA: Agritourism: Farmers barely eke out a living on Antigua. The government has launched an initiative to build alternative livelihoods for the farmers. Share your creative mind and entrepreneurial spirit. Help farmers build alternative enterprises to attract tourists with live music, local food, history tours or steel drums production demos.
- KENYA: Field help needed for farm that feeds children at Help the Children’s Center for AIDS orphans.
These are volunteer opportunities. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. Learn more at www.ngoabroad.com. Send questions or completed Questionnaire (see here) and resume to Ann McLaughlin, Director of NGOabroad at info@NGOabroad.com.
Internships in RI
Find Internship opportunities at government agencies and non-governmental environmental organizations here.
Internships & Apprenticeships outside RI
Siena Farms seeks Apprentices, Sudbury, MA
Siena Farms is a 70-acre, award-winning market farm located in Sudbury, MA with a year-round CSA. The farm sells produce at farmers’ markets, a farm store and to Boston restaurants. The farm uses only sustainable farming practices without chemical pesticides, herbicides or synthetic fertilizers to grow the highest-quality produce, provide great customer service and strengthen community ties. Learn more about the farm position at sienafarms.com. Send a letter of interest and a resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Blithewold Mansion, Gardens & Arboretum seeks Interns, Bristol, RI
- Education/Programs/Events Internship
- Graphic Design Internship
- Marketing Communications/Public Relations Internship
- Intern to the Executive Director of Blithewold Mansion, Gardens &
- Volunteer Coordinator Internship
Learn more here.
Preservation Society or Newport County seeks Laborers, Tour Guides and others, Newport, RI
See all available positions and apply here.
WWOOF seeks New and Experienced Farmers
World Wide Opportunites on Organic Farms for apprentices, volunteers, etc. Learn more here.
Find Internship opportunities outside Rhode Island at Internships.com.
Find Internship opportunities at government agencies and non-governmental environmental organizations here.