This page offers job opportunities for farmers, gardeners and consumers. Posting an opening is a member benefit. Postings are free for non-profit organizations. Listings will generally be posted for 60 days. Relistings are permitted. Please send listing requests here.
Jobs in RI
NOFA/RI seeks Organic Livestock Advisors and Additional Organic Farm Advisors
Organic Advisors will assist farmers and ranchers wishing to transition to organic production methods. Experienced organic farmers and ranchers are paired with aspiring, new or transitioning farmers and ranchers and provide assistance in many areas including these topics:
- Farm and/or ranch planning
- Marketing, business planning, record keeping
- Soil health
- Raised bed production
- Cover crops and crop rotation
- Pest and disease management
- Greenhouse and high tunnel growing
- Safe tractor, tool and implement use
- Salad green production
- Cut flower production
- Growing herbs and producing herbal products
- Livestock production and marketing
- Fencing, rotational grazing
- Pasture, forage health
- Weed control
- Post-harvest handling and marketing
- Value added production and marketing
- Marketing at Farmer’s Markets
- Organic certification and NRCS assistance applications
Farmers receiving assistance may be working towards organic certification, or they may wish to produce their crops in a more sustainable manner.
Compensation and mileage reimbursement is available for Organic Advisors through a generous USDA Specialty Crop Block Program grant for farm viability via the RI Department of Environmental Management’s Division of Agriculture and a USDA Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program grant sponsored by the Southside Community Land Trust. The grant allows NOFA/RI to offer this technical assistance at no charge to the Advisee.
South Kingston Land Trusts (SKLT) seeks an Operations Staff Person, Kingston, RI
Part-time Land Operations staff will be responsible for helping maintain the properties held by SKLT by carrying out stewardship activities, monitoring and making improvements on SKLT protected land. Learn more and apply at sklt.org/news/sklt-land-operations-job-description. Apply by November 15.
The Good Earth Organic Gardening Center seeks Farm Manager and Farm Worker, Hope, RI
The Good Earth is a certified organic farm and garden center located in western Cranston, RI. The farm has been in business since 1995 growing and selling certified organic herb and vegetable plants, annual and perennial flowering plants, organic fertilizers, soils and other gardening supplies. The farm operates a 1-acre intensive vegetable farm including two high tunnels to serve 35 summer and winter CSA family members, the farm stand & several wholesale accounts. The work environment is friendly and encourages cooperation and shared responsibility to achieve the farm goals.
If you are interested in working at RI’s only certified organic garden center and farm during the 2017 growing season, contact Joyce and John Holscher at info@GoodEarthRI.com. Learn more and apply here.
Glocester Community Garden seeks Volunteers, Glocester, RI
Volunteers needed to maintain raised bed gardens. All food will go to the Glocester Food Bank. Contact Linda Nichols via email or call 401-309-8349.
Jobs outside RI
Job Title: Farm Manager wanted in Berkley, MA
Compensation: $28,000 – 30,000 + housing and other benefits
Farm Name: Movement Ground Farm
Movement Ground Farm is in search of a Farm Manager for the 2017 growing season at our 3-acre mixed vegetable farm in Southeastern Massachusetts. The Farm Manager is responsible for overseeing vegetable production for distribution through farmer’s markets, wholesale accounts, and our CSA. It’s a year-round salaried employment with optional housing and other benefits. Application deadline is January 1st, and must be available to start work anytime between February 1st – March 1st 2017. The farm has a social justice vision and we are seeking candidates who are inspired by it and want to contribute towards it. A full job description and link to the application can be found on our blog https://movementgroundfarm.wordpress.com/were-hiring/
Assistant Farm Manager
Movement Ground Farm
Nanny, Assistant wanted in Seekonk, MA
Part-time help needed managing three boys (16, 13, and 10) on a 17 acre homestead. (4.5 miles from East side of Providence). After school / early evenings, driving, prep and organizing. Looking for someone who shares interest and passion for sustainability and organic growing—and additional opportunity to build a small working farm.
Beginning Farmer Resource Coordinator: New Entry’s Beginning Farmer Resource Coordinator will provide year-round technical assistance (TA) and training to small-scale, direct market beginning farmers, both on and off the field, on multiple aspects of farm enterprise development. This person will also manage the statewide Beginning Farmer Network of Massachusetts (bfnmass.org), and conduct farmer intake and case management/technical assistance for participants in New Entry programs and services, and teach our Explore Farming courses. Another major responsibility of this role is to support urban farmer training in collaboration with Urban Farming Institute of Boston by teaching an urban farmer training course. For a complete job description and to apply: http://tsne.org/beginning-farmer-resource-coordinator-new-entry-sustainable-farming-project.
AquaTerra Designs seeks Team Member, Cambridge, MA
AquaTerra Designs seeks Team Members for a growing Land and Waterscape Design, Installation and Maintenance Company. Clients are in Cambridge, Belmont, Brookline, Weston, Arlington and beyond. We are NOFA Accredited Organic Land Care Professionals. Team Member Duties Include:
- Perennial and Annual care; deadheading, staking, fertilizing, container care
- Weeding, soil amending, monitoring of overall plant health and aesthetics
- Hand-pruning of shrubs, vines and small trees
- Seasonal mulching and bed clean-ups
- Planting of annuals, perennials, shrubs and trees
Salary commensurate with experience. Health insurance available. Uniforms provided. 6 paid holidays. IRA after one year full-time service with company match. Expand your knowledge of landscaping techniques and plant knowledge. Ability to grow into a more responsible and/or higher pay positions with seniority. Learn more at here. Apply to Kristen at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-293-3293.
Boston Public Market seeks Insectors and Vendor Booth staff, Boston, MA
Work at the Market
Apply to work with the vendors at the Boston Public Market. Vendors are dedicated to showcasing the variety and quality of food grown, produced, and caught in Massachusetts and throughout New England. Farmers, fishermen, cheese mongers, bakers, dairymen, flower sellers and specialty food producers all come together under one roof to create a unique, vibrant retail community in the heart of Boston.
Boston Public Market vendors are looking for motivated, passionate, customer service-oriented individuals to represent their businesses as customer service representatives, food preparers, and retailers at the Market.
If you are interested in working with talented vendors, please submit a letter of interest and a resume to email@example.com. In your letter of interest, please indicate if you are interested in working for a specific vendor or in a specific type of work (for example, retail/food, prep/customer service). Learn more here.
Farmer-to-Farmer program seeks Farm Trainers, East Africa
USAID-funded program sends US farmers on 3-4 week volunteer assignment in East Africa regarding training in many different areas, including: business management, record keeping, barley production, greenhouse management, etc. We operate in Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Kenya. The trips are expenses paid. Learn more at farmertofarmer.crs.org.
Biodynamic Association seeks Apprentices
The North American Biodynamic Apprenticeship Program (NABDAP) is for beginning biodynamic and organic farmers. NABDAP combines two years of structured on-farm training and mentoring with a course of classroom study in biodynamics. NABDAP apprentices benefit from a comprehensive training curriculum, carefully selected mentor farms, and access to networking, support, and educational resources. Graduates of NABDAP are awarded a certificate in biodynamic farming from the Biodynamic Association. Learn more at biodynamics.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (262) 649-9212 ext. 5.
CT Agritourism Business seeks Manager
Progressive Connecticut Agritourism Business with 30-acre Apple & Peach PYO Orchard, 5-acre Petting Zoo, Country Market with Florist and Gift Shop seeking manager with possible long-term lease when owner retires. Learn more at silvermansfarm.com and email email@example.com.
Find Farmers or Farmland
View the New England Farmland Finder website.
North East Workers On Organic Farms (NEWOOF)
Apprenticeship opportunities on North East organic farms. Learn more here.
NGOabroad seeks Volunteer Farmers, Africa & Caribbean
- GHANA or UGANDA: Teachers needed at Agricultural College. No teaching or university experience required. Farmers needed with a strong background in organic farming, perma-culture and/or sustainable agriculture.
- CAMEROON or INDONESIA: Organic Farmers needed in rural villages to teach organic farming and sustainable agriculture. Residents are eager to learn about composting, rainwater harvesting, drip irrigation, soil improvement and crop rotation. Improved yields can pay for mosquito nets.
- RWANDA: Cooperative Management guidance needed to help Hutus and Tutsis work side by side running and managing a cooperative.
- UGANDA: Experienced dairy farmers needed to improve production and milk yield. Heifer International launched dairy program 10 years ago. Floundering dairy farmers need guidance on feed other best practices to improve yield.
- UGANDA: Poultry farming experience needed for 3,000 laying hens that will support a Domestic Violence program plans. They need disease prevention and best practices advising.
- ANTIGUA: Agritourism: Farmers barely eke out a living on Antigua. The government has launched an initiative to build alternative livelihoods for the farmers. Share your creative mind and entrepreneurial spirit. Help farmers build alternative enterprises to attract tourists with live music, local food, history tours or steel drums production demos.
- KENYA: Field help needed for farm that feeds children at Help the Children’s Center for AIDS orphans.
These are volunteer opportunities. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. Learn more at www.ngoabroad.com. Send questions or completed Questionnaire (see here) and resume to Ann McLaughlin, Director of NGOabroad at info@NGOabroad.com.
Internships in RI
Find Internship opportunities at government agencies and non-governmental environmental organizations here.
Internships & Apprenticeships outside RI
Siena Farms seeks Apprentices, Sudbury, MA
Siena Farms is a 70-acre, award-winning market farm located in Sudbury, MA with a year-round CSA. The farm sells produce at farmers’ markets, a farm store and to Boston restaurants. The farm uses only sustainable farming practices without chemical pesticides, herbicides or synthetic fertilizers to grow the highest-quality produce, provide great customer service and strengthen community ties. Learn more about the farm position at sienafarms.com. Send a letter of interest and a resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Blithewold Mansion, Gardens & Arboretum seeks Interns, Bristol, RI
- Education/Programs/Events Internship
- Graphic Design Internship
- Marketing Communications/Public Relations Internship
- Intern to the Executive Director of Blithewold Mansion, Gardens &
- Volunteer Coordinator Internship
Learn more here.
Preservation Society or Newport County seeks Laborers, Tour Guides and others, Newport, RI
See all available positions and apply here.
WWOOF seeks New and Experienced Farmers
World Wide Opportunites on Organic Farms for apprentices, volunteers, etc. Learn more here.
Find Internship opportunities outside Rhode Island at Internships.com.
Find Internship opportunities at government agencies and non-governmental environmental organizations here.