NOFA RI is excited to be a partner in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast Regional Transition to Organic Partnership Program (TOPP). As part of the USDA’s Organic Transition Initiative, TOPP is a regional network of organizations working together to support the needs of transitioning farmers through:
- Connecting transitioning farmers with farmer mentors
- Creating accessible technical assistance resources
- Hosting community-building opportunities
- Using education and training to support the organic workforce
- Helping producers overcome challenges during and after organic certification
- Promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in the organic sector
Who can take part?
- Mentor farmers who have operated certified organic farms for at least three years and are interested in working with transitioning farmers as they change to organic practices.
- Transitioning farmers who seek to transition their production with an end goal of becoming Certified Organic. If you are operating a farm and would like the guidance of an experienced organic farmer during your transition to organic, or are interested in general technical assistance and advice through this program, please join us!
- Partner organizations who would like to work with and grow the movement to help farms transition to organic production.
- Organizations with technical expertise who are interested in providing guidance on specific topics or skills to farmers who are transitioning to organic methods.
Compensation is available for mentorship participants and partnering organizations.